Cleaning a bathtub can seem like a daunting task, but with the right tips and tricks, it can be easy and painless. In this blog post, we will go over the best ways to clean your bathtub so that it looks sparkling clean in no time. Stay tuned for our top tips on how to clean a bathtub!
Are you looking for general house cleaning information? Read our main house cleaning services page.
Why should you clean a bathtub
There are many reasons to clean your bathtub on a regular basis. Not only will it make your bathroom look cleaner and more organized, but it will also help to keep your bathtub in good condition. Here are some of the most important reasons to clean your bathtub:
- To keep your bathroom looking clean and tidy
- To prevent the build-up of dirt and soap scum
- To reduce the risk of mould and bacteria growth
- To improve the lifespan of your bathtub
- To improve the overall hygiene of your bathroom
- To make your bathing experience more enjoyable
How often should you clean a bathtub?
Ideally, you should clean your bathtub at least once a month. Although, if you and your family love to take baths, you should probably clean your bathtub more often. Or if you see the signs of soap scum or mould buildup.
How to clean a bathtub: The process
Declutter and organize
Remove all the shampoo bottles, sprays, holders and any other objects from the bathtub. Clear space will allow you to work faster. Take this opportunity to go through your stuff and remove what you don’t use and organize things that you want to keep.
Run hot water
Run hot water in the closed bathroom. The build-up steam will help to loosen any dirt, grease and grime.
Gather your tools
- Dish soap
- Cleaning cloths
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- A scrub brush
- A microfiber cloth
- A squeegee (optional)
Get a cleaning solution
There are many different types of cleaning solutions that you can use to clean your bathtub. Some people prefer to use a store-bought cleaner, while others like to make their own homemade solution. Here are some popular bathtub cleaning solutions:
- Vinegar and baking soda: This is a popular and inexpensive cleaning solution that can be used to clean a wide variety of surfaces. To make this solution, mix together 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Apply the mixture to the surface of your bathtub and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing it off with a scrub brush or sponge.
- Water and dish soap: This is a great and affordable solution that can be used to clean your bathtub. Mix together 1 cup of warm water and 1 tablespoon of dish soap. Then apply the solution onto your bathtub and scrub it with a sponge.
- Bleach: Bleach is a powerful disinfectant that can be used to kill mould and bacteria. However, it should not be used on surfaces that will come into contact with food or skin. To use bleach as a bathtub cleaning solution, mix together 1 part bleach with 10 parts water. Apply the mixture to the surface of your bathtub and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing it off with a brush or sponge.
- Oxygen bleach: Oxygen bleach is a type of bleach that does not contain chlorine. It is non-toxic, non-abrasive, and safe for use on all types of surfaces. To make an oxygen bleach-based cleaning solution, mix together 1 part oxygen bleach with 5 parts water. Apply the mixture to the surface of your bathtub and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing it off with a brush or sponge.”
“Scrubbing away at the dirt helps clear my mind as well.”
Clean bathtub items
Clean all of these items separately. Start by soaking them in warm soapy water, then scrub soap scum, rinse with warm water and let air dry.
Clean the bathtub faucets
Faucets have a tendency to show water marks which reduce their appearance. Use white vinegar and warm water with dishwashing soap. Rinsing faucets thoroughly will help remove dirt. Use the Microfiber cloth to clean off all residue.
Clean the bathtub drain
First, try to manually remove all the solid particles from the drain. Make a draino solution by mixing baking soda and white vinegar or get a commercial draino product. Pour hot water into the drain. Follow with the draino solution and leave it for 10 minutes to work. Pour more hot water into the drain afterwards.
Clean the plug and the metal surroundings of the drain
Use a few drops of cleaning solution and clean in a similar way as you clean your faucets. Spray the solution, and let it work for several minutes, gent;y scrub and rinse with warm water. Let air dry.
Clean the curtain
Similar to the mat, don’t complicate things. Throw your curtain into the laundry.
Do you have a plastic curtain on the inside that is catching mould? Spray your cleaning solution, let it work for several minutes and then scrub until you remove all the mould residue. Get a new curtain if there is too much mould. Don’t waste your precious time cleaning something that you can replace for cheap.
Clean the glass door
As I mentioned above, run the hot water in the entire tub first to loosen the grime, dirt and grease. Spray your cleaning solution onto the door, let it work for several minutes, and then scrub with a sponge. Rinse the glass off with warm water and use a squeegee to remove the water. If you have a leftover of the cleaning solution, spray and wipe it off with a cloth to make your glass door shinny!
Clean the tub
Spray your cleaning solution on the tub surface. Be generous in the places that are stained or have soap scum residue. Let it work for 15 minutes.
Gently scrub with a brush to remove the dirt, grime and soap. Slide your fingers across the clean surface to determine if it’s really clean. You’ll be able to feel the dirt if there’s still some. Repeat the process one more time in this case.
“I started my own little carpet and upholstery cleaning business. I’ve done it for 20 years. I live well”
Deep clean the grout or sealing
The best way to clean the sealing connecting the tub to the tiles is to soak a paper towel in bleach and place it over the grout for several minutes. This should completely remove the black mould. Rinse with warm water.
Clean a bathtub mat
Don’t complicate things. Throw the bathtub mat into a washing machine.
Disinfect the bathtub
Fill your tub with hot water and add some disinfectant. Let it sit for a few minutes and then empty the tub. Rinse it off with warm water and let it air dry. You can also spray the surface of your tub with a disinfectant solution and leave it for 10-15 minutes before wiping it off.
Finally, clean up all the cleaning supplies. It’s important to properly discard used rags and sponges, and store your cleaning supplies in a safe area.